How do I keep him from sharing my separate residence?

He is on the deed of my separate residence. He insists on using it. How can I remain separated if he keeps insisting on coming to this place?

If your spouse is on the deed along with you, then the house is marital property for family law/equitable distribution purposes.

Depending on the situation, you can change the locks when he leaves. But this is not advisable in all circumstances.

Otherwise, you would have to move out to initiate the separation period or present him with a separation agreement and negotiate the terms prior to the separation occurring.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.