How to request documents

Have you tried requesting the records in writing and giving them a deadline to respond? I would indicate in the leter that if they don’t respond by a specific date you intend to file a complaint with the bar. How long has it been since you fired them?

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

You have EVERY right to any documents in possession of your former attorney. It is against professional ethics not to turn over documents from your case. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE! GO TO THE OFFICE AND GET THEM! HE OR SHE CANNOT HOLD YOUR DOCUMENTS AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO COURT TO GET THEM! I WENT TO MY FORMER ATTORNEY’S OFFICE AFTER I’D FIRED HIM AND RETRIEVED MY DOCUMENTS. THE DOCUMENTS BELONG TO YOU! PERIOD!

I am going through a child custody and child support battle in court right now.
I fired my grossly inadequate attorney approximately 2 months ago. I am now representing myself.
Do I have a right to have the documentation that my attorney gathered with regard to my EX wifes proof of income, financial affidavit, tax returns, etc- the general documents that are covered un the local rules for NC?

I feel that I should have rights to these documents since I paid for her time to gather the information. the law firm also has my last two years tax returns (the originals). they were suposed to make copies of it and return them to me and never did after several phone calls to their office. the court(the judge) says that they are bound to retirn such documents to me and yet they haven’t after several requests.

If I do have a right to it how would one go about requesting it through proper channels?

if my ex - atty will not give me access to it then is there a way to “make” them give it to me through the court system? I have held off filing a complaint with the NC BAR ethics committee over their conduct but the closer I get to my court date without the documentation I need the closer I am getting to that point. I really don’t want to have to do this.

I have another question too but I will post that in another new topic.