HUsband left after a month of marriage

I married my husband on June 1st. He left on july 17th and decided he didnt want to be married anymore. he moved back in with his ex gf and they just had a child 2gether this month. yes she was already pregnant. we have no plans of getting back together period and i do not want to remained married for a full yr when we were technically only together a month and a half. would i be able to get an annulment?!?

You cannot get an annulment unless you had a void marriage to begin with. A void marriage is not common (for example, one spouse was too young to consent to marriage, it was a bigamous marriage, one spouse did not have the mental capacity to understand that he/she was entering into a marriage, etc.).

With a valid marriage, you must wait the one-year separation period before being able to proceed with an absolute divorce, even if the marriage only last a few weeks or even a few days.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.