Only Married 5 months


I was wondering what I would need to do to get an annulment our a divorce if I’ve only been married for 5 months? If it the same process as being married for a year or more? Or is there a different process?

You cannot get an annulment if you have a valid marriage. Examples that would make a marriage not valid are if one of the spouses was underage without parental consent, one of the spouses was incompetent at the time of the marriage, if one of the spouses was still legally married at the time of this marriage (bigamy), etc.

Assuming you have a valid marriage, and most people do, you will have to proceed with an absolute divorce, which means you must be separated for one year before filing for absolute divorce.

For more information on annulments, check out our detailed article Am I Eligible for an Annulment?

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.