Husband will quit work

Sadly, there is little you could do to ensure that he doesn’t disappear and run out on his responsibilities to you or your children. He can not be forced to work, but the courts can use his current income or his earning potential to calculate child support and alimony, if he quits working to avoid paying these.
If these are ordered by the courts and are not paid, then he could be held accountable but I don’t think it’s something that you have much control over. You can’t force him to be responsible father or to be reasonable about separation and divorce.
The suggestion I have would be to consult an attorney about what your options would be at this point and make a decision. You are entitled to 1/2 the marital assets up to the date of separation which includes bank accounts…

You can’t stop him from quitting his job. However, if he does without a good reason, the court will impute income to him based on what he earned before you separated.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.