Stay at home mom post separation support

Dear amom:

Greetings. No, he cannot make you leave the children and go to work, however the court can take into account your earning capabilities. Also, it may just be what you have to do to afford an attorney and the standard of living you were used to if you do not have alimony.

I cannot tell you how much alimony you should expect as the factors for alimony are many. I recommend that you speak with an attorney in the county where you live to assist you with this question.

Often judges will look into school costs, etc., especially if you are already enrolled. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband abandoned me and our 2 children by moving out over a month ago, changing the locks on our business and emptying our bank account. We were married for 6 1/2 years, lived together for 11 years. He ran the business. I stayed home with our children for 5 years. I never worked after I got my bachelor degree 6 years ago except to help with filing and office work with our business. We spent around $6,000. monthly just on personal and home expenses. He makes about $200,000. per year that I can prove.
After he left, I was able to prove that he had been having an affair for over a year. Also, he has been partying and chasing women, including strippers for around 5 years. Witnesses to all of this are willing to testify.
He has threatened everything. He wanted the house, the business and I could buy the house from him in a year. His main concern in all of this is not our children, but money.
Can he make me leave my children to go back to work? My question is really how much should I expect in post separation support and then alimony and for how long? I have a great lawyer but never hear about a game plan. He is extremely busy. My judge is Phyllis Gorham. Also, to get a job in my field other than receptionist, I would need to go back to school for 2 years to earn and additional degree in paralegal technology. Is that feasible?
Thank you for any help you can provide.