Husband walked out I have no job HELP

Julie, I am sorry you are going through this. Document everything. Especially money you spend on the kids. You WILL get post separation support. You will get child support. If possible get him to sign a consent order giving you custody of the kids. Above all see an attorney. His “responsibilities” are to support his children. To do that he is responsible for supporting their mother in some fashion. An attorney will tell you the details. They are too many to elaborate here.

If he is not paying you child support you can go to child support enforcement and start the process of pursuing child support on your behalf. You should also consult with an attorney to find out if you are entitled to spousal support as well as child support.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Can you please tell me where I stand on the following issue:
My husband has walked out and says he wants a divorce. I currently do not have a job because I was a full time student. He is the sole supporter of the family. Now that he has left I am trying to find a job but I am worried that he will not help pay the bills until then and I will loose everything. There are also three children involved in the whole situation. What are his responsibilities and what are mine in this situation. Thank you for your help.

Julie A Woods