I'm changing the locks, the gloves are coming off!


Dear harleydad:

Greetings. Have your attorney send a letter today. Record any calls you have with her. If they let her in, you will just need to go, with your attorney, to the magistrates office and ask them to take out a warrant against her. While she can still remain in the house, she will have this criminal charge.

If she kicks at the door, call the police. They rarely enforce domestic criminal trespass, but at least you will have the record of the same.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I’ve decided to change the locks on my house. Spouse away for an 18 day stretch. My kids will be away at camp all next week so I think this is a good time to do this. My biggest concern is when they return, and the mother tries to enter the house. Can I make a criminal trespass charge stick when and if one of the kids let her in?

I have this fear of her screaming and kicking at the door begging either of the kids to let her in. Eventhough they are 16 and 17, they should not have to make that decision. Knowing her like I do, thats exactly how she would play it given the fact she can go there at anytime when I’m not there.