Imputed Income

If your child is over the age of three she will be imputed minimum wage. If you can prove to the court that she is suppressing her income in bad faith the court can impute income to her based on what she is capable of earning.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

While I am on the topic, my ex and I have two children. One recently graduated high school and is a legal adult. Now comes recalculating support for the one remaining child. My ex has not held a full time paying job in a long long time. She does, however, hold a NC teacher’s certificate, but refuses to come to certain geographical areas of this state and will not even apply in any area even remotely closer to where I live, even though there are no jobs where she currently lives. What are the chances that in court, the court would rule that she has an earning potential and therefore would impute an income to her for the purposes of recalculating. It’s not fair that I have paid support faithfully all these years when my son was in school only to see her to sit back and do absolutely nothing to earn any income whatsoever and I still end up paying for it.