In the state of NC is it considered kidnapping

I see my son once maybe twice a year & it’s normally with his mom present. I’m not on the birth certificate & there’s no type of custody agreements nor orders. If I was to pick up my son & not return him when his mother tells me to would it be considered kidnapping

It could be considered parental kidnapping if you keep the child away from the other parent such that it violates or interferes with the other parent’s custodial rights.

Your best course of action is to file a custody/visitation complaint in court and obtain a court order setting forth your specific visitation rights.

You can read more about this issue in our detailed article, Parental Kidnapping in North Carolina.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.