Infant Visitation

There are no set guidelines in North Carolina either, but with a young infant the court usually recommend regular frequent visitation, that does not appear to be possible in this case.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Does anyone even have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I want my daughter to have a good relationship with her father, but the distance is a problem. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a situation like this, I was thinking of trying web cams maybe? Keeping him updated with some online co-parenting tools? I don’t know what to do.

Katherine Miller

You can’t make someone be a part of a child’s life. It will have to be their choice. I feel for you though.

If you want to include your stbx in keeping updated on his child, you could set up a blog website (free through gmail) and just post items and pictures on a regular basis. Let him know the site and then it will be his choice whether to log on and keep up to date. You can set it up for comments so he can post messages.

If he doesn’t show a desire to visit, then you’ll just have to let it go. All you can do is offer, then he’ll can choose to take you up on it.

I wish you the best.

Just wanted to say that I understand where you’re coming from, wanting a good father for your child. I have an infant, and that’s the hardest part of the divorce for me. It must be very difficult for you to go up against the father’s unwillingness.

This may not be what you want to hear, but I think it will be best for your daughter if she knows that she is loved, regardless of how frequently she sees her father. I would focus right now on her relationship with you and the family and friends who are close, rather than forcing a relationship with the father who may resent her for it.

I’ve seen blogs set up as letters to the children as adults, where the parents will post a monthly update with photos and videos and milestones. Maybe you could do the same, as the above poster suggested, and let him know the address so it’s his choice to follow up if he wants?

Thank you for the replies guys, they are very helpful.

Katherine Miller

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. I commend you for doing everything you can to keep your ex in your daughter’s life, but you cannot manage the relationship on your own. If your ex is not willing to step up and be a father, at least she will know that her mother did the very best she could in keeping that relationship together. I would let your ex know the door is open and keep him updated, however there is no reason you need to be the only one making an effort.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband is stationed at Fort Bragg, our divorce is about to be final. Our daughter is 7 months old, and he has just met her this month. This was not my choice and I have been begging him since before she was born to be an active part of her life. We live in Louisiana and the courts here have jurisdiction, however, I am trying to avoid fighting in court and work out a visitation schedule with him. Louisiana does not have set guidelines regarding infants and visitation, some states do, and since he is living in North Carolina I was wondering what the courts recommend in NC. I think it would help us come up with a workable arrangement. Has anyone else tried to work out something in a similar situation. I’ve offered web cams and such, but he has not wanted to be a big part of her life. He says he wants to be part of her life, but he doesn’t act on it. Any direction would be helpful.

Katherine Miller