Child visitation between TX and NC


You do not have to agree to any visitation not set forth in the court order. If you do not think it is the best interests of your children to change the visitation schedule you can tell his attorney that and politely decline the offer.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


I was married in TX but lived in NC for 5 out of the 7 years of marriage. I have a protective order against my ex that states I was allowed to take our 3 kids with me to TX and that he would have to pay child support according to law and that we would have a third party set up visitation with the children. He has now hired a lawyer who is asking that he consolidate his yearly visitation with the children for two weeks starting on July 24. My problems are this. I arrived in TX on May 10 and have since only received $200 of child support from him to maintain the children. Also, my kids have never been away from me for more than a couple of hours. During the marriage he would only handle the children by himself for 2-3 hours max. I do not think it is in the best interest of my children for him to have the kids in NC by himself for so long. what can i do in this situation? I’m not sure where he came up with the 2 weeks out of the year but he is very adamant about that timing. I just need some kind of guidance before I answer his attorney.

Thank you