Initiating Separation


I was told NOT to leave the marital residence as that could be grounds for abandonment but how do I start the 1 year separation period if I can’t move out of the house? Does the separation agreement need to be signed first and then I can move? I’d really like to have everything lined up and ready to move before I tell him because I know that’s when things will get very contentious and I’d prefer not to be under the same roof unless I need to be. Thanks.


You don’t have to sign a separation agreement before you move out. You have to move out before the one year separation for purpose of divorce can begin.