Insurance Costs in Support Calculator

Quick questions -

(1) I cannot figure out how the health insurance costs my ex is making hits the bottom line support recommendation in the calculator. My percentage of shared income is 55.55% but it seems the insurance she is paying is hitting me with more than 55%. Does anyone know the formula and how it computes?

(2) We are doing a modification (it has been more than 3 years and we’ve both changed jobs, etc.), but part of the mod is an outrageous amount of health insurance costs for the two children, who are healthy and normal. The ex works at a smaller private company so I am guessing her rates are not competitive. Since my rates for adding the kids would be far less than half that amount, is it reasonable to ask for a reversal of insurance coverage as part of the modification (adding them to MY insurance and removing them from her expensive insurance)? This actually saves me money AND puts more in her pocket as an overall percentage. Just wondering if this is generally accepted practice.

(3) Ex is buying new house and renting old one. I say the rent garnered is income, she feels differently. would rental income not be considered in one’s overall income in the support calculations? Looking for confirmation or reasoning why it would not be.

As always, thank you!

Anyone have something to add?

Feel free to use our child support calculator to generate a worksheet that explains the calculation used. It is certainly reasonable to ask the judge to order that you pay for insurance if insuring them under your policy would be significantly less expensive. If you pay, you’ll get credit on the worksheet for paying that out of pocket expense.

Rental Income should be included in her gross income. According to the NC Child Support Guidelines: “Income” means a parent’s actual gross income from any source, including but not limited to income from employment or self-employment (salaries, wages, commissions, bonuses, dividends, severance pay, etc.), ownership or operation of a business, partnership, or corporation, rental of property, retirement or pensions, interest, trusts, annuities, capital gains, social security benefits, workers compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, disability pay and insurance benefits, gifts, prizes and alimony or maintenance received from persons other than the parties to the instant action.