Interrogatories & request for production of documents

So my husband & his lawyer basically want to see what I have on him (divorce from bed & board, indignities). This to me will give him ammunition to come up with story to defend what I have on him (photos, text messages, phone records)Do I have to present this evidence to his lawyer before we go to court? I am dealing with a narcissistic ex husband. What can I do about this? He is trying to use his excessive spending to alter equal distribution of assets & say we accumulated significant debt that he was responsible for (put on his credit card). Plus he took out $50,000 out of 401k to pay off his credit card. I had no say in this he was controlling over the finances now trying to blame me for the debt. I did buy clothes on my personal credit cards & things for him & the house & dogs but I have been paying for those with my own money. What can I do about this?

If you received interrogatories and requests for production of documents from your husband’s lawyer, you should answer and respond to them on time. You should not withhold evidence and information related to the case.

The purpose of discovery (interrogatories and requests for production of documents for example) is for the other party in a civil case to acquire more information and evidence prior to trial. There should be no surprise evidence at trial, and discovery helps each party do this. Oftentimes, discovery responses can help the parties settle a case before having a trial where the judge determines the final resolution.

You can fight each of your husband’s contentions that specific debt is marital by arguing that the debt is your husband’s separate debt instead. Marital debt is any debt acquired during the marriage for a marital purpose. If a specific debt that your husband claims is marital does not fit this definition, then you can argue that it is his separate debt that he should become responsible for.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.