Is There Any Need For An Attorney For Child Support Modification?

I am currently paying child support for my son and daughter. My son has turned 18 and will graduate from high school on 6/8. I have a court hearing to modify the child support the week of 6/10. My ex is saying she is going to bring her attorney to court to try and fight this modification to try and make me pay for some of my son’s college expenses through her. From everything I’ve read it sounds like there is nothing her attorney can argue on this since my son is of age now and will have graduated. My question is, should I also get an attorney and if so what will be the benefit and approx. cost to represent me? To me this seems like a very straightforward hearing where my son drops off and a new amount should be calculated based on our gross incomes for support to my daughter who’s 16.

Assuming your court order does not require to you to pay child support after age 18 and graduation from high school or to pay for college expenses, then the judge will be unable to grant the mother’s request. She could try to argue that the amount of child support for the remaining child shall be deviated upward from the Guideline worksheet amount but this is unusual for this to happen.

You likely don’t need an attorney if the only modification issue that you filed was due to one child aging out. However, you are always free to have an attorney of your choice represent you. The cost will vary depending on the attorney, the firm, and the county.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.