Is this unusual?

They are suppose to calculate it based on both incomes and who has what days with the children. If your wife has very little income compared to you, then it amy come out that ay but, I suspect this is wrong and I would do the calculations myself based on the calculator on this web site and if there is a big difference, then I would appeal.

did you have a lawyer? And, did your X have one?


When you do the calculator on this website what % of your income does it give for cs?

My ex pays less than 10% of his gross income.

The calculator shows it about $200-$300 less a month, but I don’t know what my ex makes. When the order was for 26%, she claimed she had no income, but when they jacked it up to 60%, she was permanently employed. Yes, I had a lawyer, if you can call him that. I told him during the hearing it was too much, but he ignored me. Can you still appeal even if it’s been nearly 3 years?

Child support paid to the state can be re-evaluated a minimum of every three years unless there has been a substantial change in circumstances.(money, job, location) I would suggest finding a new lawyer and either appealing or modifying. It sounds as if they did not change her income on the new order.

Bottom line - the guidelines are supposed to be used in all cases. Sounds like something went wrong. There is a motion that can be filed, within strict time-limits, asking the court to reconsider its ruling.

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My original child support order was for 26% of my income. The order got registered in N.C., and I requested a modification because my “reported income” was $3400/month more than what I actually made (the judge acknowledged that I never made that much to begin with). The support order was modified, this time with my correct income and the court supposedly included my ex’s income (this time) but the support is now for 60% of my income. Is it normal for a judge to raise the support order by such a large percentage when your income is so low?