Help! CS Calculation wrong


The guidelines determine what the percentage of the support obligation is, if one of you is paying an extra such as insurance it could affect the percentage.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


Ok here is my situation. I am representing myself, the ex has an attorney. We went to court and the judge gave us the opportunity to resolve CS modification ourself. We agreed on all the line items that went into the calculation, came up with a child support amount, we both signed and the judge signed. However, when i got home I noticed that the percentage used to calculate my ex’s amount was wrong. We were supposed to be calculated at 66% for the ex and 34% for me but his attorney running the calculator calculated the ex 60% and me 40%. At this point the judge is supposed to be typing the order for us and will send it to us to sign. Can I contest what we did in court if the exs attorney made a mathematical error in the calculation? BTW, I caught it the same day we had court (we were out of court at 11:00 am and I called the exs attorney at 4:00 to let him know he made an error in calculation. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.