Modification of CS for private school costs

If you have an agreement between yourselves in regards to what you will pay and what custody will be, you can put it into an agreement or modify an existing agreement, without using the worksheet.
If it is a court order then I believe you will have to request that the court use your calculations rather than Worksheet B to modify child support and request a modification of custody. Normally, they do not have an issue with someone paying more, it’s only when they want to pay a great deal less that they have issue with.
Good Luck

You do not have to use the child support worksheet. You can agree to a number other than the one dictated by the guidelines. However, it appears in your case that it is better to use the guidelines.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


My ex and I need to modify our custody agreement and child support based on various change-of-circumtances.

We want to split the costs of private schooling 50/50, even though she makes considerably more than I do. We will also be going to a 50/50 split custody arrangement in the future.

Question: Is the use of Worksheet B mandatory for calculation of child support, or can we just put the statement in our agreement that “I will pay $xxx per month”? If we alter the Worksheet B they way it should be done then I will be paying a great deal less.

Thanks folks,