Jurisdiction to hire attorney

Dear AZ2NC:

Greetings. You will need to hire an attorney in NC. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

We moved to NC over a 14 months ago. My husband wants to adopt my children. Originally, I was divorced & have sole custody from AZ. His last known address is in AZ. My X can not be found by me or the police. The AZ police have warrants for his arrest for criminal felonies. I believe I can establish willful abandonment if necessary.

X will probably need to be served by publication since his Last known address is probably invalid.

Do I need to hire a lawyer in NC or AZ to file for stepparent addoption? [?]

Thank You!!