Divorce and the child custody order have been established for almost 10 years now (both in NC), but due to recent events we are back at debating my sons’ best interest’s…

Question is; we were both residing in NC at the time of both orders, but now reside in different states/countries. (she works at an American embassy) If I wanted to challenge/change the original custody order would I have to secure a NC lawyer or could my current state intervene?

The UCCJEA governs child custody jurisdiction. To learn more about the UCCJEA, read our article discussing which state has jurisdiction in custody cases.

Essentially, so long as no party still lives in North Carolina, another state may exercise jurisdiction. If you want to move the order to another state, there is a process for moving the order to a new state.