Land title?

I do not understand your question. Are you asking if the house is your separate property? The answer is yes.

You generally need a separate document dealing with your marital property, the Divorce Judgment deals with the divorce only.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

We have been seperated for over a year.
He purchased a home and both of our names are on the title only his on the loan.
I am co-owner with my brother to property that my mother signed over to us 10yrs ago (with residential right until death). She is now deceased.
My husbands name is not on the transfer of my mom’s property but he has always had to sign for it to be used as a lien and had to sign for the sale in a portion of the property (reason stated - because I was married).
My question, do we need equitable distribution papers for either ro both of the properties.
Can this be simply stated in the divorce and all done at once?