Last CS Payment

If last child has turned 18 prior to graduation and they graduate in the middle of the month, does the last payment have to be a full month of CS or can it be prorated? Is there anything else that needs to be done to stop payments, i.e. additional paperwork to the court, etc? Payments are being made directly to ex-spouse and not through any service.

Yes, the last month (the month the child graduates since the “child” is already 18) must be paid in full. Child support for a child that ages out (turns 18 and graduates from high school) terminates without court order and you do not need to file anything in court.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you, Anna!

I do appreciate you responding to my question, it does help!