Child turning 18 soon question regarding support

  • Child turns 18 in days
  • Child graduates from high school in 2015
  • Never stepped foot in court for custody or child support (zero court orders)
  • Have paid all support payments up to date (mutual agreement in email)
  • No separation agreement
  • Payments have been direct deposit from employer to her bank account

Questions: Since there is no court orders in place, no written agreements (other than monthly agreed upon amount (in email);

  • Will I have to pay child support past the age of 18
  • Will I have to pay until they are out of HS (So if there is no court order or written agreements to pay past the age of 18, will I still have to pay till they have graduated high school)
  • Can I make the payments directly to my child once they turn 18

Thank you very much!

If you don’t have an agreement or order on child support, and you quit paying, I imagine your former spouse will file for child support. In North Carolina, the obligation lasts until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school (whichever comes later). The obligation won’t end when your child turns 18 as he hasn’t graduated from high school yet. You should not pay the child directly; continue to make payments to your former spouse and make sure you keep receipts of all payments since you have no order/agreement in place.