Lawyer as judge?

Dear bohica:

Greetings. I have no idea what the question is. No, an attorney cannot stop a court order. However what debt are you paying? For example, if you are paying alimony and your ex gets remarried, then alimony ends automatically without a change in the court order. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

A valid court order exists that orders me to pay the ex a certain amount of money. Opposing attorney wrote me a letter stating that I did not need to pay this money. No other order of the Court has been entered which relieves me of this debt. Can an attorney override the Orders of the Court? This same attorney changed a ruling of the court in the final orders and the judge signed it as she had written and not as he had directed in his memorandum! Since I had no official notification from the judge, I paid the debt. Since when is an attorney allowed to “overrule” the judge??? Is this possible???