Lawyer pro se, one question


Divorce filings are generally separate from all other issues, so it is not required that you file for divorce in order to settle other issues, I would recommend, however that you seek an attorney’s review of any paperwork before you sign. You could pay a consultation fee for an attorney to review.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I hired an attorney in January of this past year. She did a horrible job, that I won’t even go into here, and then moved out of state to participate in a Caucus without even telling me. I found out after two months of not getting any returned calls and then receiving my file in the mail with a motion to withdrawal, after she had already moved. Anyway, to make a long story short, I no longer have representation, but my insignificant other has finally agreed to my settlement proposal and his attorney is drawing up those papers for me to sign. Our trial date was set for Nov 11 and I need to know if I need to file absolute divorce papers now for the official divorce(so that the judge will see them on our court date? (I now know I could have long ago after all other disputes were filed) Thanks, Kim