Needing Help

You can file for separation once you have been separated for a year and a day. You do not have to have an attorney and you can find additional information regarding a pro se divorce on our website.

You should be aware that if your divorce is finalized before you resolve your property and alimony issues you lose the right to petition the court to hear these issues and forever lose your right to alimony or equitable distribution.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am currently separated with my husband since March 23, 2007. For what I understand after a year of separation in NC I could or we could file for divorce. I have never dealt with anything like this before and I don’t know how to proceed to file for divorce mainly I can’t afford to hire an attorney to do all the work for me or hire one. I don’t even know if I could file without an attorney to represent me. I have all the grounds against my ex to file for this divorce and would also help me to continiously move on with my life. I just need some advice and help to make sure I get what I am entitled to since he pretty much did all the separation papers with his attorney. I am desperately needing for someone to advice me with all this to prevent him again of taking advantage of my rights. PLEASE ADVVICE!!!