Ive left the house

He cannot file for a divorce unless you have been separated for a year and a day. You might want to start gathering information by attending one of the free seminars that we offer several times a month.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

As of March 1st my husband has been Demanding a Divorce. He is very manipulative and controlling. On March 10th he told me to fax him a list of the property we agreed each of us would keep. He never faxed it back. Since I have moved out and taken only the property on this list. The list is taped to the door. Because he is very verbally abusive and unpredictable I felt it was in my best interest to leave. He will be home tomorrow. He is going to want to go to the court house to file for divorce. I dont want anything to do with him so I am OK to file. I just do not want him to take me for a ride. He has done just that for the past 3 yrs. 4 yrs ago I was only $5K in debt, now after filing BK in Feb 08 he increase our debt to over $100K. He works at a trucking co. out of VA and plans to live there. He is leaving me with no place to live or income. The home we lived in is about to go under foreclosure because he has not been paying the owner the rent for the past 3 mo. That is another reason why I got out in fear that the bank would come and seize my property. I am on commission and my last paycheck was Feb 22nd. He has left me with no money. On March 15th he sent in the form of a check money in the exact amount to pay only the current debts for March, thats it. I am currently living in a friends mother’s living rm and have no commission check coming any time soon. I feel I am drowing in this although I am not at fault. March 1st I could not reach him for 24hours straight. When finally talking to him he told me he was sleeping the whole time. Then he told me he wants a Divorce. I really have got to protect myself when I go to the courthouse to file. I would appreciate any advise.