Leaving My Husband

You should consult an attorney for a separation agreement prior to leaving the marital home. Unless there are safety concerns, you should let your husband know your intentions.

Ditto. For heaven’s sake, unless you are genuinely afraid for your safety, talk this over with your spouse first - especially if you have children! Leaving the home without discussing things with your spouse will almost guarantee bitter feelings and a less cooperative partner through the separation/divorce process.

You should consult with an attorney before you consider making such a major decision.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I want to leave my husband, I plan on moving out of our marital home into an apartment. Can I just leave and take my stuff with me or do I need to/should I consult with an attorney prior?