Leaving the State

Dear ConfusedMom:

Greetings. The answer is that you will need to have a provision in your separation agreement that allows you move to Florida or you may be involved in litigation (asking a judge for a decision) so that you can move to Florida. If you cannot agree with your spouse on moving to Florida with your child, then I suggest you consult an attorney. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I have been married for almost 4 months. We have a 9 month old and are discussing a possible divorce. We also have a house to sell. What do I need to do to legally move to FL with my son, where my support system is?