Legally separated/the new love moved in

Separated a short time but have legally separated. can the person who remains in the home but has not yet paid estranged spouse their half - allow the new lover to spend the night at the home, and keep clothes there to have available when they play house?

Yes, the spouse remaining in the home can move in a girlfriend or boyfriend. This will not affect equitable distribution.

However, the other spouse could use this information for alimony purposes depending on how long the separation has occurred and whether or not alimony is at issue in this particular case.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.