Life Insurance Proceeds considered as income in Child Support?

I have a two part question. 1.) My stbx was the sole named policyholder of a life insurance policy on his father and he listed himself as the beneficiary and collected the proceeds upon his passing a couple years ago. He put the proceeds in the bank and all of it is still there. My first question is, since my husband was the policy owner and not my father-in-law, would the proceeds be considered an inheritance or could it technically be considered as marital or divisible property since we are married and my husband owned the policy?

2.) My 2nd question is can the proceeds be considered in calculating child support or can a percentage of the lump sum amount be considered for child support?

Thank you!

(1) Generally life insurance proceeds are treated as an inheritance which is the separate property of the receiving spouse. However, you may have an argument that because your husband was the policyholder, particularly if he was the one paying the premiums each month or each year, that it was more of an investment (since marital funds were used to purchase and maintain the policy) and it should be considered marital property.

(2) The life insurance proceeds that were received a few years ago would not be considered income for child support purposes.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.