Living in different county, no filings yet

Hello, I am new to this forum. My husband and I decided to divorce in February of this year. No filings have happened yet. I moved to Asheville in January, and he is still living in our house in Jackson County. I want to hire a new attorney. Two attorneys in Asheville have said that they cannot represent me, because if we end up in court, they wouldn’t be able to represent me because the filing would be in a different county. Are we obligated to file in Jackson County, where the house is? I don’t understand why an Asheville attorney would be unable to represent me. Thanks for any explanation you can offer.

You can file in any county in which either spouse is residing. So yes, you can file in Buncombe County assuming nothing else has been filed in Jackson County.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.