Locked out


My husband kicked me out our house 3 weeks ago. I went to a homeless shelter. I tried to go home today and he changed the locks and told me I can’t come back. What can I do?


You will need to file litigation against him for all the claims you have against him (these include equitable distribution, postseparation support, alimony, child custody, and child support), as well as a claim for divorce from bed and board. Locking you out of the marital residence before a mutual agreement to separate would be grounds for marital misconduct which is needed to file for divorce from bed and board.

Check out our detailed article What is a Divorce from Bed and Board? for more information.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.