Medical Care for Children


My x-husband and I have joint custody and I have primary physical. The children are on my insurance and have an established primary care physician. Does he have the right to take them to another primary without letting me know and trying to establish a new physician for them?

They have been seeing the same office for over two year and he is aware and never once complained.



No, a change in medical care must be mutually agreed assuming you have joint legal custody and your court order or separation agreement states that the parents are to make all major decisions by mutual agreement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.