Military Divorce

I cannot tell if the amount is reasonable without a full review or your income and expenses. However, in most cases where I deal with a dependent spouse, they need support in excess of what the military requires.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife and I have been married for over 20 yrs of my 24 years of military service. We have two sons 20/17 years old that live at home. Recently, I was transfered to VA, which after discussing my retirement plans with my wife, I would serve on this assignment without the family and return to NC on the weekends, with the plan that I would retire at the home our family currently resides. The day after I arrived in VA my wife informed me that she was preparing to file for separation. Her reason to me is that she just doesn’t want to be married any more. I do not suspect she is having an affair, she has always despised sex, and this is the root of most of our frequent arguments. The arguing is the spearhead of her decision. I offered that we seek counseling, but she refused. I asked her what she was looking for in support per month her figure was no less than $1600 per month. Without a separation agreement or a court order, the military says my responsibility is $960 per month. She will not accept this amount. Our shared monthly financial contributions to the household are 65% me/35% her. Is $960 per month unreasonable? Or is it likely that if a judge orders support; is $1600 per month likely? Contracting a lawyer for me will be difficult, my time will be limited to do so, and I must have one that is well versed in military divorce. Any advise will be appreciated.