Military Divorce

I would consult with your JAG attorney, you may still be a citizen of your former state and that state may have a shorter waiting period in North Carolina. The year that you are delopyed will count towards your separation and you can file in this state if he is still stationed here.

You can find some additional information regarding annulments here:

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband and I have only been married for 3 months. We are both in the Marine Corps. I’m currently stationed in Japan and he is in North Carolina. There was a situation that happened and my husband now realizes that he does not wish to be married anymore. We don’t own anything together, have kids, or anything to that sort. What is the easiest and quickest way to get a divorce? Also, what are the terms for an annulment? And because my orders are for two years, does the first year that I’m here count as being “legally separated” ? Does being stationed in another country make the divorce process harder? Any information would be greatly appreciated!