Modification of Support Order

the incomes that factor into the child support calculator are only yours and your ex’s - the parents of the children, not the current spouses.

Dear gocuse0912:

Greetings. No, you do not use your current husband’s income in addition to yours. Just use your income. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have filed a ‘Motion To Show Cause’ for support in the arrears. I am also going to request a modification to the support order. The reason, my ex was ordered to provide medical benefits and has failed to do so. My current husband placed my children on his benefit plan to insure medical coverage. This is an additional monthly expense of $180.00/month for us. When I calculate the new worksheet do I use my current husband’s income in addition to mine? He is a teacher, his income is not huge but should it be calculated in? Do I use just my income? The current order only reflects my income because I wasn’t remarried at the time.

Thank you for your assistance.