Modification to Child Support


Child support doesn’t have to go in the actual pocket of the child. It just increases the total money pot your ex has with which to pay household expenses such as food, shelter, transportation, health care, etc. If your daughter’s NEEDS are being met I wouldn’t rock the boat. If your daughter feels like she needs extra money why not support her efforts to earn the funds through part-time employment or offering incentives for good grades, etc. It’s funny how kids always second guess their parents and think OUR expenditures aren’t necessary.


The truth is, my daughter is working and going to school. She is paying for a car out of the money that she makes. Her mother does not help her with gas money etc. We are suppose to split the medical expenses 50/50 but again I end up paying for everything. I think she thinks this is a FREE ride for now. I want it stopped. The whole point is the money is not being used for its purpose. Its being used for her mothers needs and I suppose her spouse’s needs. I feel like I’m paying to support them.


Dear confused39:

Greetings. No, you cannot get the child support placed in an account for your child, as it goes to help the other parent defray the costs of living for your child (housing, lights, water, food, etc.).

While I hear your frustration, it sounds as if your child support obligation is almost over. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have learned through my daughter, that since I have been paying child support for over a year now, she has only been given a portion of (1) check. This was last year to buy school clothes and supplies.
My daughter has told me that her mother is using the child support check on herself and to make her car payments. My daughter will be 18 in Nov.
Can I file for modification to child support whereas after my daughter turns 18 the support money will go into a trust fund? Her mother is not using the support for my daughters needs. At least my daughter could have about $4000.00 when she graduates.