Mother Unemployed


Unfortunatly, this is true. Doesnt matter who claimed her or the child on income taxes. The child support calculator is a bit off, Department of social services or an attorney will give you a better estimate. And it wont matter wether she is employed or not. He will still have to pay based on his imcome… this is where planned parenthood would have come in handy… Doesnt offer much except what you already knew. But do make her go throught hte state to collect, but he cant slip for the next 18…


Dear Jayneenm:

Greetings. Yes, this is true and he will have to pay, although if you do impute her income in the worksheet, which you should try, then he may have to pay her more. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My son has a child with his girlfriend. He lives with me and she lives with her parents. She is 22 and he is 23. She currently has no income at all. She is a CNA and was working but had to have surgery on her knee and will be out of work I believe for 6 weeks. From the time she found out she was pregnant she voluntarily stopped working. Her father claimed her and the grandchild on his income tax as dependents (which from what I have read is not legal). They are now splitting up and she wants child support. His gross income is about $1200 a month and hers is zero and according to the child support calculator he would be required to pay $264 is that true???