Moving Overseas with Children


My husband and I are working through this process by ourselves and we will be drafting our agreement shortly. We have children together and they will move with me from NC to New Zealand (where I’m from) - this will be all covered in the agreement however I’m concerned my husband will change his mind the day before we fly out. Once he has signed the agreement and a travel authorization/affidavit saying the children are relocating with me can he stop us leaving? Is there any special wording I should use within the agreement to prevent a mess?

You may want to consider including the language about your move with the children in a consent order, signed by a judge. That just allows your agreement to be slightly more enforceable. If he tries to prevent your move, you could then file a motion for contempt which is quicker and more efficient than having to file for breach of contract.