My husband is giving me a hard time

It would be legal to keep the car registered in NC. This affects the insurance on the car but I have heard of other states doing this because NC has one of the lowest insurance rates.

As far as the paper he wants you to sign, it’s legal for him to ask and if you sign you will be giving up your right to 1/2 the marital home & property. He can ask for anything he wants, it does not mean you have to agree.
I suggest that you do not sign anything until you at least speak with an attorney. Never sign anything that makes you uncomfortable and make sure that you understand anything that you do sign. What he’s asking is for you to sign a “separation agreement” giving him all the marital assets except the car which will be yours. This means any bank account funds, retirement funds, equity in the marital home, other property/furiniture…everything is his.

You should not sign anything unless you have met with an attorney or are sure that your legal rights are protected.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband and I are separated and planning to get divorce soon. Now I moved to NJ and he remains in NC. I need him to sign off the car title in order for me to register the car here which he refuses to do unless I present the notarized letter of agreement stating that all of the house property will go to him, in return, he will sign the title… is this even legal to do? I really dont want to fight for the house, all I wanted was the car title. But I dont want to put myself in a bad place later on either. I just want to take the safest and most peaceful way to end our marriage, but it just doesnt seem that way… can someone give me advice please.