Question

BEFORE YOU WALK I THINK YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN WITH HIM AND PUT IN WRITING THAT YOU DON’T WANT NONE OF HIS MONEY AND EVERYTHING HE HAS AQUIRED PRIOFIT OR DEBT YOU WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR. BECAUSE EVERYTHING THAT IN THE MARRIAGE BEING PROFIT OR DEBT IS SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE.

My car is in his name - vehicle was bought since he got the inheritance. It wasn’t bought with that money though there are payments I can just make those instead of him - if he is nice enough to let me. He HAS threatened to take my car away from me in the past when I have left him since previous vehicles have always been in his name. I need to have a car. My credit isn’t too good because of some credit card issues in college… I could probably get a car in my name… though probably not as nice of a car. Plus I wrecked my car since I had it so it probably wouldn’t be worth it to sell it or trade it in. I can’t just say I don’t want anything… I don’t want anything big (other than my car - one vehicle out of 5) but I will need some stuff and quite a bit of my daughter’s belongings.

Dear renec:

Greetings. You need to think about alimony and an unequal division of marital assets in your favor due to his spending habits that have destroyed the marital finances. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I have had problems for years. We’ve been separated a couple of times (not legally just not living together) for brief periods of time. Most of our issues have been money. His mother died in January and he inherited a large sum of money (more than the two of us make in a year) and in the past several months all of that money is gone. During that time he has also made large financial commitments on our part. Racked up way more debt than the inheritance money that he got could possibly cover and now that money is gone and we have all these bills that are more than what we make and we will still have to pay taxes on the money next year. He has spent his money without caring at all how I feel about it. If I file legal separation by the end of the year will I have to pay taxes on his intertance in April. I feel like I have to walk away from this marriage and stay away if I want to avoid bankruptcy. I don’t think his frivolous spending will stop until he is forced to declare bankruptcy.