Name Change w/o Divorce


What is the process to resume maiden name and how complicated is this process?


In order to resume your maiden name you must be granted an absolute divorce and the absolute divorce judgment must state that you are granted the request to resume your maiden name.

When you file your complaint for absolute divorce, be sure to include that you are requesting to resume your maiden name and state your full maiden name in the complaint. When preparing the absolute divorce judgment for the judge, be sure to include that you are able to resume your maiden name. The whole process, from the time of filing the absolute divorce complaint to the court date when the judge grants the absolute divorce takes about 2 months assuming no issues in serving your spouse.

Check out our Do It Yourself Divorce Guide for step-by-step instructions and all the forms and templates you’ll need to file and handle your absolute divorce on your own.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.