Need help with last stages of divorce process


I have been filing a divorce for myself and my soon-to-be-former spouse.

First thing I need to know is about an accidental mistake on my part. We are in Mecklenburg county but I accidentally filed the Affidavit of Service for Wake county. This has already been stamped and returned to me as “filed” with the clerk of court. Will this mess up our chances of getting a certificate of absolute divorce? Do I need to resubmit it? If I do need to resubmit, what other forms do I need to resubmit along with it, if any?

Secondly, what am I supposed to fill out on the Notice of Divorce Hearing form? I am guessing I only enter the defendant and plaintiff, or am I actually supposed to pick some future hearing date and fill it in as well? Yes, this seems like a silly question, but I don’t want to take anything for granted with the NC court system.

Thank you for your help!


I recommend you file an amended Affidavit or Service with the correct county. The notice of hearing will state the time, date and location of the divorce hearing which the clerk will give you when you request a hearing date.