Need Help!

Dear skibunny06:

Greetings. You can sign a separation agreement with your husband prior to the date of divorce where he agrees to remove your name. You may be able to go to the bank and have your name removed (please try this first). Finally, you can file a claim for equitable distribution. Yes, you need to consult an attorney though if the bank will not let you remove your name. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am a single mom of 2 getting ready to file for my own divorce. However me and my husband have 2 joint accounts that I would like to have my name removed from. I asked the lending group if we were both present if we could do this but they said it would have to be taken care of by an attorney. Please Help, is this the only way? I am strapped and have a very limited amount of cash to go on . THANKS!