No custody agreement, ex not returning child


My ex has my son since Feb. When I told him I needed help for my son, he said that he could help only ifthe child stayed with him. I live in NC, ex lives in VA. I’m suppose to get my son on Friday for the weekend. Since there’s no court order for custody, can I keep my child and try to get temporary custody? Or should I go ahead and file temporary custody in Va and call DSS?


You should file an action in NC if the child has not been in VA for more than six months. Contact DSS for the support issues.