I just received a notice today from NCCSC dated Oct 1 stating that I owe over $1000 in non-tanf.

Currently, child support is under the jurisdiction of another state and is NOT in arrears.

The current child support amount is over $1400/month.

My ex makes over $100K/yr in salary and the child has NO special needs of any kind.

There are no other children associated with this case.

What is non-tanf and how is this legal to be billed for something that I have never heard of and when I have never been late on any child support payment?

Non-TANF means that you did not receive anything from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.

You’ll need to check with the NC Child Support Enforcement agent assigned to your case. NC does not have jurisdiction to modify or enforce a child support order from another state without going through the process to have the other state’s order registered in NC. It could be that the information you received as to do with registering the other state’s order in NC.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.