Obtaining Meidation Date

Call and talk to his legal assistant - they are probably the one setting up the appointments anyway. It shouldn’t take that long.

As to the length of time it takes to get a hearing in a specific county, I don’t know. Check the home site for forms on custody modification. Is there anyone at his office that you could ask questions of, an assistant or secretary?
My husband spoke with his attorney only twice during the year long battle, but he was able to call the office anytime and speak with an assistant if he had questions about filings or dates or even advice on how to react to specific situations. His attorney was also a very high profile in our county and the case was delayed due to a “big” divorce that he was in the middle of. Things still progressed in a reasonably timely manner but we just weren’t aware of the progression.
If there is no one that you can ask these things of, I would suggest possibly getting a different attorney or find out what you can do to speed things up. Keep in mind that anything that is government related is moves at a snails pace, with the exception of you owing them money. I think that most things can be done without an attorney it’s just normally in your best interest if things end up in court to have one working for you.

he has no assistant. when i do call, i ALWAYS get a vmail to leave a message. I agree…I didn’t think it should take this long. ugh!!!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by mal[/i] [br]Call and talk to his legal assistant - they are probably the one setting up the appointments anyway. It shouldn't take that long.

Pami Webber

Cabarrus is the County I have to go to. I live in Mecklenburg county, but the ex in Cabarrus (where divorce done 10 yrs ago). I believe my attny also handles large cases…but…it’s been 8mths! Also, I’ve mentioned to him several times that if he didn’t have the time to devote to me…let me know and I’ll move on. I was just wondering if I could file all this stuff myself. Court folks say you really need one.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by stepmother[/i] [br]As to the length of time it takes to get a hearing in a specific county, I don't know. Check the home site for forms on custody modification. Is there anyone at his office that you could ask questions of, an assistant or secretary? My husband spoke with his attorney only twice during the year long battle, but he was able to call the office anytime and speak with an assistant if he had questions about filings or dates or even advice on how to react to specific situations. His attorney was also a very high profile in our county and the case was delayed due to a "big" divorce that he was in the middle of. Things still progressed in a reasonably timely manner but we just weren't aware of the progression. If there is no one that you can ask these things of, I would suggest possibly getting a different attorney or find out what you can do to speed things up. Keep in mind that anything that is government related is moves at a snails pace, with the exception of you owing them money. I think that most things can be done without an attorney it's just normally in your best interest if things end up in court to have one working for you.

Pami Webber

That does not seem right. I got the date the day the papers were filed. Mediation is mandatory in a custody case, so the judge make the date the day you file the papers and they file them with the courts. Sounds fishy to me. I filed on Dec. 13th and my mediation date was Jan 25th. I would call your lawyer and let him know that you know he is a slacker!

Dear Hoola:

Greetings. Mediation is generally automatically set up by the court when you file a Motion to Modify. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My attny filed a “motion to modify custody” in Oct 2006. Says he sent in ppwk 3 wks ago for a hearing date for court ordered mediation. I have ck’d repeatedly w/ cab. co. court and the mediator. They tell me no ppwk has been recvd. I went to my attny over 8mths ago for help. does it take this long??? Can I do this on my own w/o an attny? ps - attny does not communicate w/ me unless I send “fed up” emails…and then it takes him days to even respond. any advice???

Pami Webber