One child graduating

My husband currently pays support for two children. One will be graduating HS in June. The other in three years. While support would likely go down a few hundred dollars if he modified, we do not feel it is worth the time, stress, and money. However, is there a way to have it on record that one child has graduated and we are in no way supporting her. Is there also a way to have it in writing that when we show proof the second child’s graduation in 3 years that child support would automatically stop. We are basically trying to avoid a much interaction with the mother as possible as it is difficult at best and also trying to avoid a ton of legal fees just to have support stopped in three years. We think she would likely agree because she knows support would likley go down the next three years if we did decide to pursue modification.


Without filing a motion to modify based on the child aging out, there is no way to put it on the court record that your husband is no longer obligated to pay support towards that child. Unless child support is being garnished from his pay, it will automatically stop when the child reaches 18 years old or graduates high school, whichever is later because he can then stop paying the obligation.